Sunday, January 20, 2008

My blonde moment!!!

I am a true blonde. From birth. No dye, promise. Today I realized for the past 2-3 weeks I’ve been having an extended blonde moment. You see because both my parents are on meds for diabetes, I have been keeping an eye on my blood glucose levels to keep from going on meds. My doc has offered me meds but I don’t want to go that route just yet. I really want to control it my losing weight and eating better.

October was a learning month. I was really worried about holidays but I did great. Actually got my bg readings under 100 for morning and evening. Two to three weeks ago, I haven’t been able to keep them under 120. I talked to my doctor hoping that it was due to the sinus infection I’ve been having. No was her answer, but it could have to do with the hormone cream I use and that I needed to do another salvia test.

This past week I was really upset…mornings would run anywhere from 120 to 140, afternoon’s from 130 to 150 and then before bed I was running 180 to 190. I knew that this Thursday, doc wasn’t going to let me say no to meds this time.

The unusual thing is that I’ve lost weight since October, joined weight watchers (which has taught me portion control) while still watching sugar/carb intake (local hospital’s diet plan). I’ve not exercised which I knew could be a cause but not jumping that high.

Tonight before fixing supper, I went to take my reading when I realized that I had changed out a new test strip bottle about 2-3 weeks ago and they were coded as a “7”. I was in a hurry one morning and grabbed it up as I was headed out the door. My meter was still set to the old code of “9”. If you have never had to test your blood sugar, every time you get a new set of test strips from the pharmacy, you must re-code your test meter…which I hadn’t done. Upon reading in my owners manual for the machine, it read……”Failure to re-code your test machine may result in a higher than normal abnormal blood reading”.

Geez! All this worrying and fretting and all I needed to do was re-code the machine. Big blonde moment! I took it this evening before supper and low and behold…96! Normal!

So I’m a goob! Those that know me well know this is nothing unusual! I’m my own worst enemy!!! Tomorrow is weigh in………so I’ll post more tomorrow!

Comments before changing blog:

Looking Great in 2008 said...
Weel I am sure that it is nice to know that you don't have anything to worry about. Best wishes on the weigh-in!

January 21, 2008 9:36 PM
koinoniacommunity said...
I still love ya!

January 23, 2008 7:23 AM
anonymouse said...
Hi Sherlyn,

I am also at high risk for diabetes, since both of my parents developed Type II. I have post-prandial hypoglycemia. My bg doesn't go high but it goes very low if I'm not careful with my diet and exercise. I had to change my test strips recently, too, along with the code. I'm glad you found out that your bg was normal.

January 30, 2008 11:52 PM

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online